Monday Moment of Wisdom - Pearl Number 78

Monday 9 February 2015


Wherever and whenever possible, give your love to everyone and every being and see every day as the Day of Valentine, the Day of Love for all beings!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan

It seems like Valentines Day is like Christmas - you either love it or hate it....

I'm a bit sappy about it all and love to celebrate the day, yes I know there are 364 other days in the year to show my love for my husband but in our house we like a good excuse to make a day of something. We show our love as a family though, we've always involved LC and this year will be no different with the addition of the babe making us a nice little foursome and planning something special to do that involves us all.


There has been years though when I've felt a bit lonely and insignificant on Valentines, in reflection that seems a bit ridiculous now but the past me felt defined by my relationship status. When I think of my girls as grown women I would be heartbroken to imagine them feeling the same way! I know though, that there are many people who do and having no significant other to give them a token gesture on a day that, let's been honest is more about how much money the gift giving industry can suck out of us rather than what love truly means, is something that leaves them feeling a lesser person.

If I could some future advice to my girls about love and the whole business of Valentines, and to anyone else who is feeling uncomfortable about this day it would be this - LOVE THY SELF - above everything thing in this world, fall in love with who you are first, that's the relationship that matters the most, don't let yourself be defined by one day.

Just for the record though I'm not sat typing this as if falling in love with yourself is the easiest thing in the world, because I know it's not, and if you find yourself in a place where you have no idea how to go about even starting to have a positive relationship with you then maybe it's time to slowly let that thought manifest, see what comes up?

This day will be what you make it though, give your love not only to yourself but everyone around you, send cards to your kids, pets or dear old granny, buy yourself the most gorgeous pair of shoes, bracelet, bunch of flowers you can find as a symbol of how important you are in your life - and then, keep doing that, every day. 

Finding ways to show love to you, and the ones you care about, when ever you can is so much more important than one day when everyone is jumping on the band wagon. I give so much thanks that I have my husband and my two girls to celebrate this day with because ultimately it means that in the end, I learnt to love myself first, not just on February 14th but all through the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment