Monday's Moment of Wisdom - Pearl Number 35

Monday 18 March 2013

“Can words describe the fragrance of the very breath of spring?” - Neltje Blanchan

For me, Spring always starts in March and although the weather is still questionable (snow?!), it brings the promise of sunnier days and new beginnings. Traditionally New Years is the time when most people try something new but this year the start of Spring feels like a good time to make a few positive changes..

With a new season comes a change in look but not all of us can afford a new wardrobe or a restyle, this got me thinking though about making some small tweaks that can help towards us feeling uplifted and confident about ourselves. My talented and stylish blogging buddy Mrs Jones has written a perfect guest post this week about how moving with the seasons inspires a change in mood and fragrance for her and gives us her best picks for Spring's sensational scents. You can read more about all things beauty and baby at her fabulous blog Keeping up with the Joneses and here too - do check her out!

 

“A woman should wear perfume wherever she wants to be kissed.”


― Coco Chanel


Ever since I've been old enough to wear perfume, I've been on a mission to discover my signature scent, something that I would wear every day, that people would recognise me by. Recently though I have come to the conclusion that I am however far too fickle for that, my tastes in perfume change at least seasonally. In winter I prefer perfumes with heavier basenotes such as vanilla, rose and spices that last and continue to evolve throughout the day. In summer I prefer fresh fruity and floral scents which I can reapply frequently without knocking people out. Below are my top three perfumes for spring and summer but just as certain clothes or make up suit some people more than others, a fragrance that smells amazing on one person can smell absolutely awful on someone else. Years ago, enamoured by the advertising and branding surrounding Theirry Mulger's angel, I liberally sprayed the fragrance allover my wrists in a department store, only to find that it smelled like poison to me and I spent the next few hours scrubbing at my skin trying to remove any trace. Yet I have a friend who wears Angel 365 days a year and for me this scent truly defines who she is. It works so well on her that people often stop her in the street and ask what fragrance she is wearing. For me a good fragrance should be like wearing a new outfit that helps you convey however you'd like to feel that day. 

1. Acqua di Parma- Fico di Amalfi

My husband often wears this in summertime and to me this perfume smells absolutely edible, (although please don't try). I have since discovered that it is actually a unisex scent so it's top of my wish list for this season. To me this smells like ripe figs on a summers day, I'm obsessed with fig scents and I can't rate this one enough.

2. Annick Goutal- Le Jasmin

Jasmin is such a popular scent in many summer fragrances although very few of them actually manage capture the true scent of this summertime flower as Annick Goutal does. This reminds me of my childhood summers in Greece, playing outside in the evenings when the Jasmine scent is at it's most potent, one for real Jasmine fans! 

3. L'Artisan Parfumeur- La Chasse aux Papillons

La Chasse aux Papillons ( Chasing Butterflies) could quite possibly be the most beautifully named perfume ever. This is a really lovely subtle fragrance containing linden, light tuberose and orange blossom. I actually wore this on my wedding day and whilst on honeymoon this leaked all over my luggage, rather than being annoying it was actually quite pleasant to smell it every time I opened my suitcase. Whenever I smell this perfume it now takes me back to one of the happiest times of my life, I love how certain fragrances can be so evocative.      



What's your signature fragrance for Spring? I'd love to know and any other beauty tips for Spring to try out! Just one small change can make all the difference, what else could you change this month to feel good this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment